Salters Stores Logo
  SaltersStores.co.uk
Salters Stores
Family Owned in Winchester since 1909
01962 856570
info@saltersstores.co.uk

Storage
Prices
Location
Contacts
History


The History of Salters Stores

The Engine Shed and Tent Store at Highcliffe, Winchester were built around 1909 for Charles Salter, a licensed victualler, on land bought from the Highcliffe Park Estate. Charles was the son of an agricultural labourer from Longparish, Hampshire.

His traction engine was housed in the Engine Shed, and his marquees and hire-equipment were kept in the Tent Store. 



Architects Drawing
Original Building Control Plans for Salters Stores 1909
City Wine Vaults Loving Cup
'Loving Cup' from City Wine Vaults
Charles Salter originally ran the City Wine Vaults at 125 High Street, Winchester - recently Thorntons, now a mobile phone shop  :-(
Charles subsequently bought the Eastgate Hotel and Restaurant, on the corner of Eastgate Street and Bridge Street - now Eastgate House, an Estate Agents.

He described his business as 'Officers' Mess Caterers and General Refreshment Contractors, etc.' with Stores at Highcliffe Park.  
Eastgate Hotel
Eastgate Hotel Postcard

Charles Salter Invoice
Heading from Charles Salter Invoice
Charles Salter was at times a city councillor and alderman. 
Charles Salter at Hog Roast 1901
Charles Salter (centre, white hat) at King Alfred "Millenary" hog roast 1901

Eastgate Restaurant
Eastgate Hotel Restaurant, 1960s. Charles Edward seated rear centre.
The business passed from Charles to his son Charles Edward and then, in 1968, to Charles Edward's son, Derek.
Salters' Van
Charles Edward's van in grounds of Salters Stores, early 1960s
Salters Marquees
Derek's Marquees by Winchester Cathedral, 1970s
After the closure of the Eastgate Hotel in 1974, Derek continued to run the catering and marquee hire business from Salters Stores at Highcliffe until his untimely death in 1984.
In 1984, Derek's wife Mary let Salters Stores to Graham Barnes, a local joiner, who ran Winchester Storage and Joinery Co. from the site until his retirement in 2006.

Graham encouraged the community spirit at Salters Stores which provides a meeting place for a number of local tradesmen.
Graham at work
Graham at work 1989